Friday, February 13, 2015

Contenment

The word contentment has been weighing heavy on my heart. This world has SO many things to offer, making it very easy to get distracted from all the God given blessings around us. To be content means to be in a state of happiness and satisfaction. The bible tells us in 1 Timothy 6:6-7 that " Godliness with contentment is a great gain". 
For me being content has been something I struggle with. In my own experience discontentment traces back to comparing. Both are very ugly traits. I tend to see pictures or read blog posts and compare my life, family, or child to someone else, and almost always my life seems to not "measure up". Yikes... Big NO NO! It is then that I have to take a step back, look around, and realize how much God has truly blessed me ( Beyond measure!). I have a wonderful husband, an awesome healthy toddler, good jobs, a roof over our head, food on the table and clothes on our backs....That is a lot more than some people could say. But most of all I have JESUS, whose mercies are new everyday, and whose love NEVER FAILS! If that alone is not enough for me then I have some problems serious issues!
They key to being content is realizing that God is all we need. Because with God ALL things are possible (Matthew 19:26). God will supply our every need, all we have to do is trust in Him. We need to cling to Jesus, soak our hearts in his word, PRAY, and remember all of His promises. When our hearts are so full of thankfulness, we have no room for discontentment.

Being content may be a something I struggle with right now, but I am going to choose to have a mind that is full of thankfulness, and vow to turn my greedy heart to Jesus and pray for contentment! Through this season of life I am going to turn to the one who knows my heart better than I do and ask Him to guide my thoughts and actions. I want to strive to live a life that is pleasing and glorifying to God, because He is true contentment!


Some verses that have been helpful to me:

  • Matthew 6:25-26
  • Matthew 6:32-33
  • Philippians 4:12-13
  • Hebrews 13:5
  • 1 Timothy 6:6-7
  • Luke 12:15
  • Psalms 37:3-4
  • Proverbs 16:8
  • 1 Timothy 6:10-11


Have a blessed day!
-Haleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin